Hai all. Thanks for liking, following n commenting on my blog. This is my first non – veg dish I cooked when I started cooking.
Preparation time : 30 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
Total time : 50 mins
- Vinegar : 2 tbsp
- Turmeric : 1 tbsp
- Salt : 1/2 tsp
- Prawns : 1kg
- Onions medium : 4
- Green chillies : 4
- Ginger garlic paste : 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts (split) : 15
- Cloves : 5
- Bay stick : 2 (1 inch)
- Cumin seeds(Jeera) : 1 tsp
- Mint leaves : 8 to 10
- Coriander fresh : 2 tsp
- Turmeric : 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder : 3 tsp
- Garam masala : 1tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil : 3 tbsp
For masala :
- Dry coconut pieces : 1/4 cup
- Poppy seeds : 1 tbsp
- Sesame seeds : 1tbsp
- Remove the dark vein from back of the prawn.
- Wash throughlly n add vinegar, salt n turmeric n again wash in fresh water 3 times.
- Take prawns in a kadai r pan (not non – stick).
- Keep it in medium flame. When prawns started leaving water add turmeric n ginger garlic paste.
- Stir Place a lid a leave it upto water 3/4 evaporates in pan.
- Mean while Add all masala in a mixer n grind it into a paste.
- Finely chop onions.
- Slit green chillies n cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Now leave prawns to cook openly by removing the lid.
- Occasionally stir the prawns to cook evenly. No need of adding water. The water which prawns leave is enough to cook them.
- Heat a non – stick pan add oil.
- Add bay stick, cloves n jeera.
- When cloves start spluttering add mint leaves.
- Add chopped onions, cashews( adding cashews now only will give different taste n trust me it will enhance prawn fry taste.), green chillies.
- Stir n place a lid n lower the flame.
- Meanwhile see if prawns water evaporates 3/4 n now add salt(which will be sufficient for prawns) n 1 tsp red chilli powder.
- Stir n let all the water evaporates. Remove from flame keep aside.
- Remove lid from onions pan n stir add lil salt for onions n stir. Cover the lid again.
- When onions r cooked 3/4 add prawns. Pour 1/4 cup of water in prawns pan so that all the masala left while cooking prawns will leave the pan. Add that masala water also to onions.
- After adding prawns don’t cover pan with lid.
- With stick r long spoon(what ever u r using to stir) stir n see that the prawn curry is spread evenly.
- After 5 mins add masala to the dish. Stir n spread evenly.
- Add remaining Chilli powder, garam masala, salt. Stir n spread evenly.
- When the prawns fry gets dry n start leaving oil remove from flame.
- Garnish with fresh coriander n fried almonds(optional).
If we take 1 kg prawns after removing shell we will get only 600 grams of prawns.
When prawn fry comes to semi dry stir continuesly to avoid burning.